What happened to that Rig is not a terrorist attack on the US, it was not staged by the Coast Guard, or some radical group that hates drilling. What happened out there is something that has the possibility of happening to any Oil Rig. Yes, we are now begining to discover that there is a possibility that BP leadership made cost cutting decisions that may have aided in the explosion. However, we do not know this for sure. The problem that I have had with this matter is the way that the executives of BP and the media have handled the matter. I don.t believe that the executives have done enough to keep the public educated and informed as to what happened, and what they are planning to do to resolve the matter. Its only human for people to assume, when they are left to make their own decisions. I think that BP Execs could use a refresher in Social Responsibility. It would have been more appropriate for the Executive to empathize, apologize, and reassure the world that BP as a corporate citizen was doing all in its power to protect the safety of the people, and the gulf coast ecosystem. We have yet to hear any words from BP addressing rumors that BP requested the workers on the rig to sign waivers of liability immediately following the explosion. All we have heard from BP and its executives is an empty promise to remain in the gulf coast until every drop of oil is cleaned, and also apologies for making remarks like the one below. Tony, I understand that you want your life back. But, I am more than sure that there are 11 families that would like to have their loved ones back. Does BP recognize that the court of Public Opinion has already found it GUILTY? What will BP do to resuscitate its public image? Should Tony Hayward be removed from his position as leader of BP?
At this point as citizens, the only thing we can do is rely on one another to put our biases aside, and come to aide of our home, our neighbors, and our weak corporate citizens. We should all lend a hand in the cleanup when possible.
Much love!
If asking, I believe that many of these huge corporations simply assess everything through dollars and cents, and hardly the effect that the oil spill will have upon lives or marine life. In other words, I am sure they are licking their chops trying to devise a plan to get back each and every dollar lost, as we speak.
ReplyDeleteIt's an unfortunate incident, in my honest opinion. For all involved.